Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Working Blues

Well the second day is done and the work week is well on its way. I wonder if anyone has the working blues. I think that title can mean different things to different people. I spent a long time talking about my PTO (paid time off) with my supervisor. I want to take a vacation. every one deserves one right? Even if the only place you are going is to porch-ville, you need to be able to just sit and not work for a week.

This seems to be a problem for me. The first time I took a week of was in 2011. That really is the truth, I had an operation and was not allowed to go back to work. So I was at home, could not really go any where and I was amazed. Actually I was overwhelmed, I had no idea what it felt like to just sleep or lay on the couch or not wake up nervous and anxious. It was marvelous and I promised myself that every year I would take one week off.

Last year I even went on vacation. My child has a  genetic illness and were able to go through Make A Wish. If your looking to donate and are not sure who to give to look there way. I met so many families with kids who were sick and its just a great thing for a family to be able to relax because the environment they are in gives their sick child a chance to be normal. That's what I loved most about where we went. All the kids were sick and nobody thought twice about them or looked at them strange.  You could see that each child was thriving and experiencing what it felt like to be just one of the kids. If you ever get a chance try and visit and volunteer at Give Kids the World in Kissimee Florida. That's where we stayed. Its a truly special place.

This year I scheduled my PTO and my supervisor said you realize you have to have time to take. So we did the math and came up that I would have  the time or almost all of it. then I said to her just because I will accrue this time does not mean I will have it. My child could be in the hospital any day and maybe stay there for weeks. Yes it has happened. So once again I was struck by the need to live a different lifestyle one that allowed me more freedom and flexibility while it actually pays the bills.

Money Matters

No comments:

Post a Comment